Its always good to have a plan
Back in August, we bought 5 acres adjacent to our original 7 acre plot. Its currently planted in soybeans so I can’t do anything until those are picked, but I’ve written down what I want to do with the land.
- What to do with the land
- plant pasture grasses (white clover, tall fescue, maybe some chickory)
- put up a fence (roughly 1000 feet $$)
- build a chicken coop
- get some chickens (6-8)
- build shelter for cattle
- build feed trough, buy a water tank
- build storage for feed
- put up some gates and fence around trough (way to get cows in/out)
- transport for large cows, like an enclosed tailer (borrow)
- buy some cows
- sell cows for $$ and food
I would also like to plant a small stand of native prairie grasses, but that may have to wait.
We used to raise cows when I was growing up. It was a good source of chores and some extra money for me. Hope I can work it out the same way for my boys.
This plan may take 2 or 3 years depending on the state of my bank account.